June 29, 1972:
- Founding of Associated Steel Industries Ltd.
September 13, 1973:
- Certificate of authorization to operate the plant from the Quebec Ministry of the Environment.
December 28, 1973:
- Purchase of 12 hectares of land in Sainte-Catherine (Quebec, Canada).
May 20th, 1974:
- Construction of administrative offices and fencing of the land begins.
June 12, 1974:
- A. S. I. Ltd—opening of a bank account.
- Purchase of end-of-life cars and metal sheets for recycling begins.
- Construction of the plant begins.
- Purchase of a FIAT ALLIS CHALMERS and a CATERPILLAR 966.
- Installation of a railroad (Canadian Pacific).
- Contract with the seaway.
- Purchase of a loading conveyor to load the ships.
- Construction of the locker rooms and the garage with a storehouse, as well as the rainwater and sanitary system and the guardhouse.
- Start of production, Hammermills 74 104 crusher with a 3,000 H.P. engine and a capacity of 40 MT/H, equipped with a fire protection system, winter production heaters, winter production roof, 4 fully electric overhead cranes to unload and load the trucks and feed the crusher.
- The plant is fitted with a dust-collection system, a wet chamber and a magnetic separation system to separate ferrous and non-ferrous products, a truck scale and a railcar scale.
- 40 employees working in two shifts.
- First vessel loaded with 1,500 MT to be shipped to Spain (MV ANGELICA SHULTE)
- Installation of a POLLOCK system for automated sorting of non-ferrous materials and separation of automotive residues from metals (aluminum, stainless steel, zinc, brass, copper wire, etc.)
- First sale of Zorba to the U.S. by train.
Between 1978 and 1997:
- Purchase of 4 car presses to get the raw material for the shredder from the scrap yards.
- Purchase of an eddy current conveyor to improve metal recovery.
- Digitization of the administration.
- Installation of two radiation detector systems on road and rail scales.
June 29, 1997:
- ASI Ltd. celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- Purchase of a Caterpillar 980 G.
- Purchase of a Caterpillar 980 H.
- Purchase of a Genie S-60 aerial lift.
- Renovation of administrative offices, locker rooms and fencing of the field.
- Modernization of overhead cranes.
- Refurbishment of all production lines and mill bases.
- Installation of LED lights throughout the plant and buildings and purchase of a water truck
- Creation of a website.
- Remodeling of the production cabins (based on a study by an ergonomist–overhead cranes, sorting, tower operators, shredders, inspectors and guards)
- Installation of a reject door on the shredder.
- Remodeling of the dust collection system.
- Installation of a long bar extractor and Jet Zone system to eliminate dust on the production lines.
- Refurbishment of the factory roof and crane structure.
- Rehabilitation of the ship loading conveyor.
- Purchase of a forklift truck.
- Modernization of the production reporting system.
- Reinforcement of the ship loading dock.
- Covering of automotive residues to avoid contamination with water and dispersion of dust.
- Rehabilitation of the pluvial, sanitary and aqueduct network.
- Upgrading of the individual and collective protection equipment.
- Installation of an electric charging station for cars.
- Modernization of work procedures and factory policies via a prevention plan.
- Creation of a Linkedin page for A.S.I.
- Upgrading of the camera system for safety and production and fire protection.
- ISO 50001 and RIOS certified recycler.
- Start of concreting of production areas.
- Installation of a Danieli ZDS 250-800 pre-shredder and an inverter to reduce peak consumption on the 3,000 H.P. engine.
- Purchase of a Caterpillar M325DLMH wheeled excavator.
- Installation of motion detectors in the buildings to reduce energy consumption.